Saturday 13 April 2013

Coconut Flour Bread




My brother, Dr. Tim Wood, told me about this coconut bread that his family has been eating.  His exact words were, "It will change your life!"  He was so impressed by how good it tastes and it only has 4 ingredients!   The bread is called "Cocolithic", and is made at "Just Pies" which is in Penticton, B.C.

My brother and his wife are both chiropractors.  They follow what they call the innate diet, which is similar to a primal or paleo diet. It generally means trying to eat like our hunting and gathering ancestors.  This means limiting or eliminating grain, milk and sugar consumption.  They believe this way of eating promotes optimum health and longevity.  You can also check out his website for tips and recipes.  If you would like more information about the Primal diet, see the website Mark's Daily Apple.

This coconut flour bread fits well into their lifestyle and is not full of all of the starches and gums that are contained in most gluten-free breads.  I have tried it and I find it tastes best toasted like most gluten-free breads.  I also like how it has a chewy texture similar to breads made with wheat flour.

I have not been able to completely follow a Paleo diet, but I am trying to eat less grains.  In the last year or so,  I have been experimenting with cooking with coconut flour and almond flour.  It has helped my cooking and baking taste better, and made it easier to digest.  I have also read that these flours are low in carbohydrates, and high in fiber.  Almond flour is very high in protein as well.  Two of my favourite blogs for recipes using coconut flour and almond flour are Elana's Pantry and The Spunky Coconut.  They are innovators in creating recipes for the Paleo lifestyle.

25 comments:

  1. That bread is simply amazing. I wish I knew how they make a gluten-free bread taste better than it's glutenous counterpart. It's a bit of a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew as well. Anyone out there venture t guess the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bread so much I have it bused to me in Calgary!
    Does anyone have the nutritional values for a slice?
    I'm on a diet and this info would really help me.

    Thanks,
    :Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I do not know the nutritional values per slice. On the label it just lists the ingredients. The ingredients for the coconut bread are organic coconut flour, organic whole coconut, water and sea salt. It says no grains, no yeast, no oils or sugar added. They do have other kinds of gluten-free bread such as raisin cocolithic (coconut bread), rice, buckwheat, and olive and cheese. I also get it shipped to Calgary. They will only ship to individuals and not businesses. I hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. I bought this bread yesterday on the recommendation from my Dr. at the West Kelowna Interactive Wellness Centre. I haven't eaten any breads in at least six months and feel much better for it. Bread use to make me very gassy and since i gave it up, no more gas. I missed toast though so I thought I would give this bread a try. I had one slice, toasted, yesterday and ate it with my broccoli/cauliflower soup. The bread was delicious. Unfortunately, the gas came back. I was up most of the night with gas around my heart and flatulence. As the bread only has 4 ingredients, which ingredient would have caused the gas?

      Delete
    3. Likely it was the Broccoli! Eat the bread by
      itself with some jam or other topping and it will likely be fine.

      Delete
    4. It was definitely the broccoli / cauliflower soup that caused the problem.

      Delete
    5. Yes agree as soon as I read you had broccoli and cauliflower, i seriously gasped, omg 😳, I have and still learning how my body reacts it’s like a big 💡
      Marlene

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dough undergoes 12 days of fermentation before baking.
    This is all I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if its made like a sour dough then?

      Delete
    2. Yes. It is a leaven bread using a coconut flour fermented starter as the rising agent instead if yeast.

      Delete
  6. This is my favourite bread. It was life changing for me too... Another great perk of living in the Okanagan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my son is starting a Specific Carbohydrate Diet and loves this bread. his favorite are cucumber sandwiches which are lovely on this bread. I would love to know how to make it but alas...shipping it will be for now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you get it shipped? I would LOVE to get supply!

      Delete
    2. Just give them a call at Just Pies, they will tell you when they can make your bread and ship it. It comes by Greyhound Bus up north for me!

      Delete
  8. Who says it's gluten free? They don't. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, the label says the bread "may contain traces of gluten".

      Delete
  9. Who has this bread bused out to them in calgary? I want in! Will share shipping etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,

    This bread is simply fantastic! I just can't get to the store soon enough to buy it! Is there some way I could have it shipped out to me in bulk? I'd gladly stock up my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How do I get this shipped to me in florida?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could anyone please share the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visit a Naramata friend several times
    yearly who introduced me to Cocolithic bread. I eat Paleo to combat inflammation. Will you ship to California, USA?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The baker studied artisan sourdough bread making in France... Good luck trying to figure her recipe out! But when I tried to culture and bake coconut flour alone the result was a very dry loaf. The oil content of the "whole coconut" must bring the essential moistness to this recipe.

    ReplyDelete