Saturday 5 October 2013

Maple Pumpkin Spice Lattes in the Slow Cooker



It was reported a couple of years ago that Canadians eat an average of 26 teaspoons of sugar per day.  When we consume a great deal of sugar there are obviously consequences to our health.  Diabetes, an impaired immune system, childhood and adult obesity are some of the serious health implications.  I have read recently that sugar can even be harmful to your mental health.  Sugar consumption has been implicated in depression and anxiety conditions.  Most people are starting to realize the importance of cutting back on sugar.  I try not to bake very often and keep sweet treats to a minimum.  When I do bake, I am careful to look for ways to cut back on sugar as well as use some natural substitutes like coconut sugar, honey, maple syrup and stevia.

I have been reading lately about the difference between coconut sugar and cane sugar.  I had read an article about coconut sugar not being that much better than cane sugar.  Then I stumbled on Dr. Andrew Weil's site.  He has some good information about coconut sugar on his Q and A Library.  He explains that coconut sugar is a preferred sweetener over cane sugar because it has less fructose.  He says that it is irrelevant to look at the glycemic index of sweeteners, and mainly recommends reducing sweeteners high in fructose.  This includes agave, high fructose corn syrup, cane sugar and some other sweeteners.  High consumption of fructose causes abnormal liver function and promotes obesity.  Furthermore, fructose is harmful to the brain and can compromise memory and learning.  Dr. Andrew Weil's preferred sweetener is maple syrup because it is only about 35% fructose.

I have been baking less this year for two reasons.  I am trying to cut back on sugar and fructose, and I am way too busy to waste time baking sweet treats that we don't really need.  However, I was looking for something a bit sweet to make for Thanksgiving weekend that my daughter and I could enjoy.  I came across a Maple Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe in "The Everything Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Carrie S. Forbes.  This cookbook is helpful if you are busy and need recipes that are quick and healthy.  I have changed some of the ingredients to make this latte recipe dairy free.  It is definitely a healthier version than one you would buy from a coffee chain.

Ingredients

4 cups organic decaf coffee
1 can of coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen)
2 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup plain pumpkin puree (canned or freshly cooked)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice (I used Epicure, but you can also make your own pumpkin pie spice)

Directions

1.  Whisk together all ingredients in the slow cooker.

2.  Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 hours or on low for 3 hours.

3.  Taste to see if it is sweet enough for you.  Sometimes, I will add 8 to 10 drops of liquid vanilla stevia to add more sweetness.  Before serving, I use my hand blender to whip the hot liquid in the slow cooker to make it foamy (be careful).  When serving, turn slow cooker to the warm setting for up to 2 hours. If desired, sprinkle each mug with some cinnamon and coconut sugar on top of the foam.   

*The pumpkin puree can be omitted to make Maple Spiced Lattes.  I have also substituted canned organic butternut squash in place of the canned pumpkin.  The butternut squash has a more subtle flavour than the pumpkin puree.







No comments:

Post a Comment