Thursday 3 October 2013

Slow Cooker Cilantro Shipwreck


I make a very different Shipwreck casserole than my mother and grandmother used to make.  This one is just as good, but has ground chicken, no tomatoes, more spice and is made in the slow cooker.  See if you like it too!

Ingredients

4 potatoes, peeled and sliced (I think 1 sweet potato could be substituted, but have not tried this yet)
3 small zucchini, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 small onions, sliced
2 pounds ground chicken, browned in about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 400 ml can coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen)
1 cup gluten-free chicken broth (I bought mine from Costco)
3 tablespoons brown rice flour (I sometimes omit this, but it will be more like soup)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
dash of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1 lime

Directions

1.  Place potatoes in the bottom of a greased slow cooker (I use coconut oil).  Top with zucchini, carrots, and onions.  Place the browned ground chicken on top (I have also used Spolumbos chicken and apple sausages that were squeezed out of the casing and browned).

2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, broth, flour, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro and lime juice.  Pour this mixture over the ground chicken in the slow cooker.

3.  Cover and cook for 6 hours.  Top with the juice from another lime and some more chopped fresh cilantro before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment