Saturday 25 May 2013

Pear, Walnut and Gouda Pizza


My sister-in-law introduced us to this fancy appetizer pizza with a coconut flour crust.  She lives in Kelowna, and is able to get a coconut flour dough made by the same company (Just Pies) that makes the coconut flour bread in one of my earlier posts.  She rolls out the dough on a pizza stone and pre-bakes the crust at 375 degrees for about 15-17 minutes.  Then she tops the crust with sliced pears, chopped walnuts or pecans and gorgonzola cheese.  She bakes it again at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes and tops it all with fresh arugula.

I have tried to recreate this pizza with ingredients that I can find locally in a small town.  I am not a huge fan of gorgonzola cheese, so I substituted lactose-free gouda cheese and feta cheese.  I am not sure how this recipe would work with a dairy-free cheese like daiya cheese.

I had a few unsuccessful attempts at making a pizza crust with coconut flour using recipes from the internet.  I prefer to make this pizza with a purchased gluten-free crust.  It is so much faster and there is less mess to clean up in the kitchen!

Ingredients

Judy-G pizza crust or Udi's pizza crust
lactose-free gouda cheese, thinly sliced (enough to almost cover the base)
2-3 peeled and thinly sliced pears
1/2 cup goats milk or regular feta cheese 
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
Arugula (or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley)

Spread the thinly sliced gouda cheese on the base of the pizza crust.  Top with the thinly sliced pears, then the walnuts and feta cheese to taste.  Bake at 375 degrees for another 15 minutes or so.  Top with the arugula or chopped parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment