Friday 3 May 2013

Quinoa Salad with Tomato Vinaigrette



The original recipe for this salad is from the Canadian Living website.  I was not fond of the tomato vinaigrette, so I tried a number of recipes until I found one that worked well for me.  The recipe for the tomato vinaigrette is inspired by the cookbook "Eat Raw, Eat Well" by Douglas McNish.  As usual, each time I make this salad I change an ingredient or two.  It seems to work well every time though.

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa (I use the Costco brand which is pre-washed, so you do not have to rinse it)
2 cups green beans, trimmed and rinsed (I use frozen green beans and steam them to make this recipe faster)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 sweet pepper, diced (I used some sliced cherry tomatoes instead)
1 cup crumbled goat feta cheese

Tomato Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (I use the oil packed ones from Costco)
3 chopped pitted dates, soaked if a bit dry (or 3 tbsp agave or honey)
1 cup cold pressed olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp wheat free tamari or soy sauce or Braggs
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Preparation

In a saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups water to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let cool.

Steam green beans until tender.  Drain and transfer to a large bowl.

Stir in cooled quinoa, chickpeas, red pepper.

Tomato Vinaigrette:  In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and blend until smooth.  Pour over the quinoa mixture and stir to coat.  Crumble feta cheese on top of the salad.





No comments:

Post a Comment