Thursday 22 August 2013

Recipe Ideas for Garden Vegetables



I have been enjoying all of the produce that is available this time of year.  Garden zucchinis have been a part of every dinner lately!  One of my favourite recipes is Zucchini-Almond Fritters.  Although recently I am finding it much simpler to make zucchini noodles with a tomato sauce for a quick dinner.  Steaming the zucchini noodles for a few minutes improves the texture.  I steam them in batches using a large pot with a small amount of water in it.

I make my own pasta sauce because it tastes so much better than the pasta sauces from jars.  Start by sautéing onion and garlic in a large sauté pan.  Then add some chopped garden carrots, beans, fresh basil and some gluten-free tomato sauce.  Simmer until the vegetables are tender.  You can get fancy and add a bit of balsamic vinegar or pesto.

Pureeing or dicing the vegetables into smaller pieces before adding them to the tomato sauce is a good way to disguise the vegetables for picky eaters.  Many years ago, I saw Jamie Oliver recommend this type of pasta sauce on a television show about improving school lunches for children.  In his recipe for "The Best Tomato Sauce Ever" he grates the zucchini right into the sauce.  Check out his recipe if you would like a sauce that is kid-friendly.

I had a bunch of ripe B.C. peaches, so I looked for a healthy dessert recipe to make with them.  I made a lovely Peach Cobbler recipe from the Spunky Coconut blog.  It uses nuts and coconut sugar for the topping.  Coconut sugar is somewhat more nutritious and lower on the glycemic index than regular sugar.

The fruit topping would probably be great with other fruits that are available this time of year.  Next time I would like to try it with apples and apricots.  I may add some honey and tapioca starch to the fruit base if it needs to be sweeter and thicker.

This cobbler/crisp dessert recipe is healthy enough to eat for breakfast with vanilla yogurt.  That is definately my favourite way to enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment