Thursday 1 August 2013

Zucchini Noodles and Creamy Thai Sauce




What do you do when you have hundreds of zucchini in your garden?  In the past, I often used to bake zucchini loaves and cakes.  I try not to do as much baking anymore and I pay more attention to having healthier main dishes and snacks.  Every year I make zucchini salsa because that is something I add to chili and mexican dishes.  A newer option for using zucchinis is to make low-carb zucchini noodles.  They are a healthy alternative to pasta, and you can eat more of them!  All you need is a vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer.  I recently bought a turning slicer to speed up the process of making zucchini noodles. 


There are many sauces that I like to use on top of zucchini noodles: italian tomato, pesto and asian-style sauces.  This Thai sauce is based on a recipe from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry by Janet and Greta Podleski.  Before I had a turning slicer, I used to make this sauce with stir-fried vegetables and chicken breast pieces.  I would often use garden zucchini and green beans, as well as red pepper and mushrooms.  This time, I made this zucchini noodle recipe vegetarian for a "Meatless Monday" meal.  Stir-fried chicken breast pieces would be a nice addition to this dish.

Creamy Thai Sauce

1 can Thai Kitchen coconut milk
1/3 cup gluten-free hoisin sauce (available at health food stores)
2 tbsp gluten-free tamari sauce
3 tbsp almond butter
1 tbsp grated ginger root
zest from a lemon
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

In a deep skillet, whisk together the sauce ingredients over medium-high heat until the sauce boils.  Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for about 3 minutes until the sauce thickens slightly.  Add the zucchini noodles, meatballs or stir-fried vegetables to the sauce and mix well.  Serve hot.




No comments:

Post a Comment