Thursday 22 August 2013

Road Trip



We just returned from a 2 week road trip along the Oregon coast.  We enjoyed the beautiful rocky shores and the dramatic change of scenery from the prairies.  It was amazing to see how different the coast can look on a foggy day compared to a sunny day.  We enjoyed activities like walking on the beach, dune buggy rides and watching the surfers.  I took photographs of lighthouses, flowers, wildlife and of course, food!




At times, it was a challenge to eat gluten-free and healthy while travelling.  I brought nuts, fruit, vegetables and eggs in our cooler that plugs into our car's cigarette lighter.  We cooked in some of the rental houses that we stayed in, but they often had limited equipment.  I bought my own "Green Pan" for eggs, as many of the pans were scratched Teflon.  We brought our juicer along so we could juice some of the fresh local fruit and vegetables.

We started off in B.C. before going down to the States.  We always get spoiled when we stay at my bother's place in Kelowna, B.C.  They barbecued salmon, zucchini strips and served them with peach salsa, salad and corn on the cob.  My brother's wife makes wonderful salads.  She made a salad with fresh local cherries, walnuts and feta cheese.  She was also telling me about how to roast corn on the cob in the oven if you don't have room on the barbecue.  She wraps the corn in foil with some butter and puts them in a roasting pan.  Then she roasts the corn at 450 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.  I look forward to trying to roast corn this way.





We ate out at a few restaurants along the way down the Oregon coast.  Some of them had gluten-free menus and some just had a few gluten-free menu items.  Although restaurants are getting better at preparing gluten-free dishes, there are still many improvements to be made.  I did become ill a couple of times after eating in restaurants, so I did end up cooking more in our rental houses.  I even resorted to buying a couple of Amy's gluten-free frozen meals.  I try not to eat packaged foods, but on vacation I was thankful to have these as an option!  I found them more reliable than eating out in restaurants.

One of the highlights of our trip was going to Pike Place Market in Seattle.


We saw the fish market and watched them toss the fish.  


It was a busy holiday, but we really enjoyed the views and the Seattle area.  We hope to go back to Seattle someday to tour some of the islands and go off-the-beaten-path a bit more.  

Farewell summer holidays!





No comments:

Post a Comment