Thursday 4 July 2013

Apple and Walnut Salad with a Maple Vinaigrette


I have been making so many salads these days with all of the fresh garden greens available.  This is my favourite go to salad because it is quick and simple to prepare.  It is a nice side with barbecued pork or chicken.

leaf lettuce or spinach
1 apple, chopped (I peeled mine because it was coated with wax. I also tossed the pieces in lemon juice so they would not brown.)
chopped walnuts to taste
cubed cheddar cheese to taste (optional - I try to buy cheddar cheese for my family with no added colour.)

Put some lettuce on each bowl or plate.  Top with apple pieces, walnuts and cheddar cheese.  Each person adds the maple vinaigrette to their own taste.

Maple Vinaigrette

1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (I use a good quality one like Bragg's.)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon gluten-free dijon mustard (LifeSource brand is gluten-free.)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Whisk together the first 5 ingredients.  Add the oil gradually until blended.


No comments:

Post a Comment