Thursday 11 July 2013

Barbecued Pork Chops and Rainbow Waldorf Salad


When it is summer, most people usually do not want to spend their time preparing food instead of enjoying the nice weather.  (I am an exception, as I enjoy cooking!)  It was suggested that I share a super easy and healthy recipe for summer.  This is not so much a recipe as a quick meal idea!



In my local Co-op, there is packaged salad that is called Rainbow Salad.  (I think you could also mix half a bag of broccoli slaw with half a bag of coleslaw to get the same mixture!)  The Rainbow Salad is very reasonable as it is about $2.00.  On the back of the package is a recipe for Rainbow Waldorf Salad.  I follow the directions for the dressing, but I change the white vinegar to apple cider vinegar and the sugar to honey.  I also add the walnuts add the end so they do not end up soggy.

Salad

Rainbow Salad mixture
1 diced green apple and 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Combine in a medium sized bowl and set aside.

Dressing 

3/4 cup of gluten-free mayonnaise
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
salt and pepper to taste.  

Combine the mayonnaise and honey in a bowl.  Gradually whisk in the apple cider vinegar.  Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.  Serve the 1/2 cup of walnut pieces separately to sprinkle on top.  

It is a lovely and quick salad that goes well with barbecued pork or chicken.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment